How to Leave a Comment on Our Blog

HOW TO LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS BLOG
1. Scroll to the end of the post.
2. Click on the phrase "0 comments" or, if there are comments it will indicate how many, for example, "8 comments." Clicking on this will open the comment option for you.
3. Type in your note.
4. Choose your Profile. If you don't understand the choices under Profile then choose Anonymous but PLEASE type your name and location at the bottom of your comment so I know who you are!

Monday, August 13, 2012

Catching Up With Friends

"But friendship is the breathing rose, with sweets in every fold."
~Oliver Wendell Holmes
NB Cleddau and NB Valerie
   Up on the Macclesfield canal we are traveling through the stomping grounds of our friends Sue and Ken Deveson. I first made their acquaintance about two and a half years ago when I found Sue's blog Boatwif, about their travels aboard NB Cleddau. I emailed her about their composting loo which fascinated me.
   We struck up a fine friendship owing to our mutual interests and experiences: narrow boats, composting loos, education and writing (I work for an American University teaching writing tutorials and Sue is a teacher and writer; retired from the Air Force, Ken serves his community as a school Governor. We both have children and grandchildren in the States, and we all have Welsh ancestry--my maternal grandmother was Welsh, and Ken and Sue were born in Pembrokeshire.)
   They were one of the first couples to come and meet me and Les when I first came over to England in May of 2011 to meet Les' family and friends, and they stopped in for a visit again last autumn after me and Les returned from our wedding in America.
   Finally we have caught up with one another aboard our boats! We enjoyed a visit to NB Cleddau yesterday for tea, delicious Rosemary Orange Cake, and a tour of their boat which is indeed lovely.
   I finally got to see the composting loo on board a narrow boat and I am ever more impressed than when I first read about the idea.
   Sue and Ken joined us aboard NB Valerie today for coffee, Banana Cream Pie, and a long natter about this and that. We have unique perspectives on Britain and America, having family and loved ones in both places. Visiting with the Devesons made Les and I realize once more how very fortunate we are to live our lives on the cut; to have time to stop, enjoy the view and share in the company of good friends.

No comments:

NB Valerie & Steam Train by Les Biggs

NB Valerie & Steam Train by Les Biggs